Caring for your freezer
No one wants to have to replace their freezer on a regular basis.
Follow our quick and easy steps to ensure your freezer gives you years of trouble free service and your food stays in tip top condition!
Make sure you regularly defrost your freezer.
How to defrost your freezer:
- Wrap frozen items in newspaper and place in a box in a cold area.
- Unplug your freezer and wedge the door open.
- Remove freezer drawers.
- Place towels or any type of absorbent material at the bottom and in front of the freezer to mop up the water as the ice thaws.
- Do not use any sharp implements to remove the ice build up from the freezer as this will damage the appliance.
- Once all the ice has thawed, clean the freezer and drawers with warm water.
- Wipe the freezer dry and replace the drawers.
- Plug the freezer back into the mains, making sure that the thermostat is set at the correct level.
- Re-pack the freezer.
Check your freezer is working at the right temperature. Use a thermostat to check the temperature of your freezer.
The coldest part of the freezer should be between –18 and –23 degrees.
Keep a check of what you’ve got in the freezer.
Put a date on all frozen food products so you can keep track of when the food was purchased. Then rotate foods; putting newly purchased items at the back of the freezer.
Don't pack it choc-a-bloc!
Make sure your freezer is not over packed with food or ice as this will prevent the freezer from maintaining a low temperature.
Freeze your food in appropriate containers, for example, freezer bags and airtight containers.
When shopping, purchase frozen food last and pack goods together.
This will help maintain their cold temperature. Alternatively, use our FREE* Home Delivery service and we’ll pack your bags and ensure your food gets delivered in tip-top condition.
Freezer star ratings are as follows:
|*||Ice box||-6 degrees||1 week|
|**||Ice box||-12 degrees||1 month|
|***||Ice box||-18 degrees||3 months|
|****||Freezer||-18 degrees||Long term|
|Fast freeze temperature in a **** freezer is –26 degrees.|
* Home Delivery is subject to availability. A minimum order of £25 applies (excluding cigarettes, appliances and mobile top-ups). Deliveries are made within a 10 mile radius of selected Iceland stores (3 miles within M25 perimeter). For full Home Delivery terms & conditions click here.